Sometimes it helps to list shiny, happy things out especially when I am feeling dark and curmudgeonly…. as a clue as to how dark and curmudgeonly I am feeling I am fighting the instinct to start out this paragraph with “Some people have told me that this is a stupid thing to do but sometimes it helps…”
It seems like I am one angry mother fucker as of late. Just ask my mother, she would agree.
1. My son, when I feel all dark and evil inside, I look at my son in the eyes and there is so much goodness in there that he saves me from myself (at least in terms of letting the dark win), I also feel really guilty that I do this, seems like a lot of pressure to put on him though he has no idea what goes on inside my head, So, my son, he makes me happy.
2. Giving – giving of my time mostly, since I don’t have a lot of money. My husband hates this part of me, told me the other night “I wish I were a charity so you would be with me”
OMG – I am two in and already they are deeply tempered with crotchety…. how do I fix this?
3. The color orange. It makes me happy. This is in spite of the fact that I was told by an “wu-wu” artist that orange is the low color on the totem pole and that only real cool people love purple – what a douche! I still love the color orange, purple reminds me of mean old ladies that hit you with their umbrellas.
4. Stupid games on my phone; Yahtzee anyone? How about Draw Free (I play this with my son, which is actually awesome), Cascade, Smurfs 2, Criminal Case, Words Streak, Words with Friends, or Trivia Crack. It is treasured mindlessness.
5. My Fitbit – love it for its reminders of how crappy I sleep when I am in a uptown funk!
6. Meat. I love meat. It is something dead.
7. Boots, I love boots. It is cold out now, they help keep my feet warm.
8. Friends, they always manage to come out when I need them most. I can’t imagine that I am an easy friend to have.
9. Coffee. I have brought myself to the point where I only take one cup a day, and I take it with cream only. But it is a glorious 12 minutes of so of my every morning!
10. My husband. Paragon of patience with me. He reminds me to be happy, even when he is his grumpiest self!